Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

my 7 year old 90 lb lab has become terrified of gun shots and

my 7 year old 90 lb lab has become terrified of gun shots and thunderstorms. we live in the country and it is dove season. For 3 days there has been no shooting, after 4 days in row of morning shooting. My dog is waking up at 6 am shaking violently anyway. And her fear is scaring our other lab. Her thundershirt helps a little...not enough to let me sleep. Zanax helps a little...but I hate doing that. valium and benadril have also been tried during storms...but nothing makes her relax. I am afraid for all this adrenalin pumping thru her, not to mention that it is making our lives impossible. help....

Hi there and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. It sounds like the medications help, but you are not wanting to medicate her daily. What I really recommend for these cases is a DAP collar. It stands for Dog-Appeasing Pheromone, and the collar releases a pheromone that mimics the pheromone released by the mother while the pups are nursing, so it can soothe dogs. It has worked for similar situations with many of my patients. You can purchase them at online pet stores or local pet stores:

http://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/view/adaptil-dap-collar-for-dogs?gclid=CKWf5cig_bkCFepFMgodxSQAhg

Hope this helps! Best of luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much. I will give this a try.

No problem! Happy to be able to help. Please remember to rate my service.
Hi Shelley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?

Ann M.