Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice

I was at my parents house and noticed my boston terriers eye

I was at my parents house and noticed my boston terriers eye way reddish/pink. Then the next day it looked worse and I looked closer and seen there was a very small stick like debris sticking out. I flushed her eye and it came out but it is still red and her third eyelid it covering almost half her eye. She is acting like herself but it looks bad. Is there something that I can do?
Hello, and thanks for writing in.
It's good that you flushed the eye and got the debris out. The concern at this point is if there is a scratch on the cornea (clear front part of the eyeball), which would need specific treatment. Most scratches can't be seen just by looking at the eyeball. There's a special fluorescent stain your veterinarian would use to check for a scratch. It's also possible that the eyeball is just very irritated and may need specific medication for treatment. I would highly recommend getting Ruby examined as soon as possible for her eye, since eye problems can be quite uncomfortable, and can get worse quickly without appropriate treatment. I would not recommend using any human medications, as they can potentially cause significant side effects. You can gently use saline, over the counter eye flush, or artificial tears to moisten and flush the eye every few hours. But otherwise, she really needs to be examined by a veterinarian as soon as possible.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Dave