Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My 2 year old boxer has diarrhea and is restless and pacing

My 2 year old boxer has diarrhea and is restless and pacing only came on about 2 hours ago please help
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Vadar.

My primary concerns for diarrhea with or without blood include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.

A few options to help correct loose stools include:
1. Prescription medication like flagyl (metronidazole) is excellent:

If there is blood or mucous in the stool, to suggest colitis, than a vet may also consider Sulfasalazine:

2. Adding some fiber to the diet.
Metamucil for Pets

Pumpkin for Pets (not pumpkin pie filler)

3. Various probiotics for the short-term or even sometimes long-term for chronic digestive problems:

Rx Biotics
- For this probiotic, you’ll need your vet to order it, or find a local vet who carries it.
Vetri-probiotic BD
Although not a sole treatment for diarrhea, another effective supportive supplement:
Rx Clay

A very popular choice:
-above link for dogs, but you can select cat products as well.

4. A prescription diet like Science diet I/D, I/D low fat, W/D, or Royal Canin gastrointestinal can be useful.

5. A at-home bland diet:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice

To help diarrhea you can give some pepto-bismol, but I strongly discourage using it repeatedly as it can cover up a more serious problem.
Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Hopefully, some pepto can settle the intestinal tract a bit to give him some relief and reduce the restlessness. Otherwise, he may need to get into a vet sooner for some better supportive care.

Sorry to hear Vadar isn't feeling well. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do u think the restlessness is due to upset stomach I changed the flavour of the food but not the brand could that of given him diarrhea

Hi Rebecca,
As a best guess, yes, I think the intestinal and stomach distress could easily cause some agitation /restlessness.

Definitely! Even if brand is not changed, changing the carbohydrate or changing from one protein to another (like lamb to chicken or chicken to beef), is a huge change for the digestive tract.

I can't assume its the cause, but to answer your question, yes it is suspicious.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Hi Rebecca,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Vadar. How is everything going?