Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 8+ years experience

My dog got a hold of my lunesta, I dont know if he ate any,

My dog got a hold of my lunesta, I don't know if he ate any, he's more interested in the bottle, he is acting like a lunatic, but he is an 8 month old puppy. He is about 25 lbs. He's panting, thirsty and wild, but it's hot and he's crazy anyway. Thoughts?
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. Lunesta is obviously not intended for canine use, but side effects are not well established. That said, sedation would be an expected result of this medication, but like any meds in the class, the hyperactivity can be the result in rare cases. If you are certain he ate some, then it may be worth a vet visit. Your vet could simply give some oral activated charcoal to lessen the absorption of the drug. If you feel confident that he strictly played with the bottle, I would watch for any changes that could be a concern such as lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, labored breathing, etc. If these occur then a vet visit is warranted. Frankly, it would not surprise me if he did not get any of the pills and he is just having a "energenic" day. I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Dr. Jeff
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Dr. Jeff! Trouble is fine today. He was very rammy last night, but he slept good today! Thanks again!

Great to Hear!!!!
You're Welcome!!