Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal General Practitioner and practice owner with 8+ years experience

Hi, my 10 year old Welsh Springer Spaniel had a skin tag (

Hi, my 10 year old Welsh Springer Spaniel had a skin tag ( very classic looking skin tab, light colored, tear dropped shapped ) - on the side of her eye. very close to the eye but not touching it. the tag fell off, but now she has a bump that looks like a scab but harder and thicker that formed on the same spot. It doesn't seem to bother her, but I would like to help it heal as soon as possible. Is this common when a skin tag falls off and what can I do to help it heal?
Hi, I am Dr. Jeff. I will try to help you. Please feel free to follow up if any more information is needed. If this is a scab that has formed from the blood that was left behind from the tag when it fell off. It should heal on its own. Certainly, if it looks irritated, you can use a thin layer of cortaid (being careful not to get it in her eye)) to reduce the redness. If the base of the tag remains, it could seal over and remain, but there is also a chance that it could regrow over time. This can be tough to predict.
If the mass was on the eyelid margin, this could have been a meibobian gland mass. These will often grow and fall off but the bass remains, so it is not uncommon for them to regrow. When this is the case, they will generally need to be surgically removed which requires a small wedge removed from the eyelid. If it is not interfering with the cornea, it is not likely an immediate problem but should be monitored.

As for either issue, speeding the healing process is tough other than keeping it clean. Like I mentioned before, cortaid can be used if the area is far enough away from the eye that you feel comfortable using a small layer. Otherwise, keep it clean and see what happens. You may not need to do anything more.
I hope this helps and gives you direction.
Dr. Jeff