Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

I switched dog foods recently because my dog no longer seemed

I switched dog foods recently because my dog no longer seemed "interested" in eating it. I bought him Purina One with little tender pieces of chicken in it. He will eat the pieces of chicken but nothing else! He will not touch the hard pieces of food. I have left it there for him to go back to and he refuses to eat it until I put more chicken bits in it. It has gotten to the point that I HAVE to put the chicken bits in it or he will vomit bile. Help!

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

So, the reason he vomits bile is that there is to much acid in his stomach and no food to absorb it. You can help reduce the acid by giving him a human stomach acid reducer such as Pepcid ac. Give 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet, per 5-15 pounds of dog, ever 12 hours. That should stop him from vomiting bile if he does not eat.

You can try giving him Pepcid for the next few days and see if he will eat the left over pieces, and not vomit bile, on that.

Since he will not eat it plain, and you can no talk to him and tell him he needs to eat all the pieces in the food, you will probably have to add a little something to it. You can try a tablespoon, or two of canned food, broth, or even water. Warming the food can help make it more fragrant, and appetizing, as well.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please click "reply."

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok.

So would Tums be acceptable to give him? Or is that too chalky?

Is this a medical issue? Or is he just a picky eater?

Thank you for your help.

No, tums are not good. They absorb the acid that is in the stomach at the time. Then the stomach makes more acid which is called "acid rebound." The Pepcid actually turns down the acid pumps so less acid is produced.

It could be a medical issue. If he has any dental pain, or nausea, then that could cause him to only eat the softer pieces that we know he likes. If he is not better in a few days, I would have him checked by a vet. You can also look in his mouth, with a flash light, for any redness tartar, loose teeth, or foreign bodies.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok.

In the meantime, do you think I should try changing his food again?

It's definitely not dental because he has no problem eating marrow bones :p

He is probably just being picky. If you change his food abruptly, he could get an upset stomach with vomiting or diarrhea.

I would try the 1/4 Pepcid tablet, twice a day, and see if he will eat the purina with some broth or canned food mixed in. Just a little. Warmed chicken broth can do wonders to the appetite. You can also add a little cooked chicken. He would probably really like that. You an use a plain flavor rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.

Then, if he completely refuses to eat, for more than 2 days, I would try a different food.

I feed mine proplan chicken. It is just like the purina one you are feeding, with the different pieces, but proplan is higher quality.

Since he is a little guy, he may prefer a "small bites" version as well.

Other foods I like are wellness, blue, and taste of the wild.

Hi Lexi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chubbs. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby