Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

HI, I noticed my dog has itches his anus. When I checked it

HI, I noticed my dog has itches his anus. When I checked it I found a very tiny white round worm pointed on both sides with 3/4 in length as a staple wire and it dried like a brown-like in color. I searched on the internet and I found pinworm similar as what I saw. And it says dogs can't get pinworm only humans. How can I treat this? I can't afford to go to the vet.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Buddy has some worms. From what you are describing it sounds like what you are seeing are tapeworm segments.These look similar to white rice until dry then they are a brownish color. These do cause itching of the bottom and are often found around the rectum area, on the hair or in areas where the pet lays. These are cause by ingesting a flea so you want to be sure you are using a good flea prevention as well. Click here for more on tapeworms LINK

Not all deworming medications cover tape worms. 3 products you can get over the counter at your local pet store are
Tape Worm Tabs.
HC WormX
SafeGuard 8 in1

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.