Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog has struvite crystals in his urine, as well as bacteria.

My dog has struvite crystals in his urine, as well as bacteria. Being treated with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory. He seems to be in enormous pain. The vet says he can't be in that much pain because there were not that may crystals in his urine. He walks like he is 80 years old. Last night, he sat upright while I held him, until he was to tired he just collapsed. He would only sleep about an hour at a time, but each time in this same manner. I asked for stronger pain meds, but the vet said he doesn't need them. He will not eat or drink unless I hand feed or lift his bowls to his mouth. He has been on meds 2 days. How long before I am supposed to see improvement?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 9 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX X have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that Babe is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Did the vet do any x rays?

Just to clarify the vet said to stay on the food you are feeding and did not recommend a special diet to dissolve the stones correct?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

1) no x-rays, urinalysis

2) doesn't want me to change anything to see if killing the bacteria with the antibiotics will also take care of the struvites. She said if it doesn't my Babe will have to be on perscription diet the rest of his life. We are supposed to test again in 10 days.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

He went from a puppy bouncing off the walls with his litter mate sister, to an 80 year old man with severe arthritis in all his joints...overnight.

Expert:  Candy replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

While I can not judge the way another vet opts to treat I can tell you this would not likely be the way this is handled in our office.

I am very concerned that he is in this much pain and it would be reasonable to do x rays just to be sure there are no bladder stones in addition to the crystals which could cause this level of pain.

We would also put him on Hills s/d in addition to the antibiotics for 10 days to dissolve the crystals Click here

Normally the anti inflammatory medications are more then sufficient for pain control the fact that he is so painful that he does not want to walk would really warrant making sure there are not stones.If there are stones this can actually block the urethra making him unable to urinate.

It may be worth getting a second opinion so you can see if you can get him some relief.This just does not sound like a normal UTI with crystals to me.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be more then happy to help.
Candy

Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Expert:  Candy replied 9 months ago.
Hi Mary Beth,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Babe. How is everything going?

Candy