Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a healthy, 95 lb, long-haired, German Shepherd, 6 years

I have a healthy, 95 lb, long-haired, German Shepherd, 6 years old. Lately, he has been scratching himself excessively. Could this be a grass allergy? This has not been noted before. He gets his flea medicine monthly, is combed daily, gets groomed every few months, and is given periodic baths with medicated soap. I gave him a bath yesterday thinking it might help with the itching but after a few hours, he was doing it again. I have also noted, he is shedding a little more than usual (may have nothing to do with the issue at hand). Please advise.
XXXXX XXXXXe
Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem.

You may absolutely be looking at an allergy. It may be to grass or other air borne particle. Dogs can also become allergic to indoor particles such as dust or dust mites. Dogs can develop allergies at any time in their life as well.

Sometimes allergies are seasonal and will go away when a season ends and the culprit is not in bloom anymore.
Here you can read more about seasonal/air borne allergies
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/seasonal-allergies-and-your-pet/page1.aspx

It may also be to dry skin, bathing can sometime make the skin dryer so I would try adding some omega fatty acids to the daily meal Fish oil gel caps or Derm Caps are good for this. Omega fatty acids help strengthen the skin and coat. You can read more on this here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/fatty-acids-omega-derm-caps/page1.aspx

If it is seasonal allergies what might help it so limit the dogs outside time and when you bring him in wipe him down with a damp towel to get outside residue such as pollen off of him so he is not continuing to breath it in. An air purifier in a room where he stays can also take allergens out of the air.

Benadryl can be used to help with the itching. Dosing and information here: http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/diphenhydramine-benadryl/page1.aspx