Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have an eight month old yellow lab with a marble size sore

I have an eight month old yellow lab with a marble size sore on her outside paw on the toe??? It is swollen and bleeding on the outside. It is not ruptured and is not on the pad; it is to the side and above. She walks and runs just fine and does not bite it or lick it. 

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Sorry about the wait. It sounds like you are seeing something called an inter-digital cyst or potentially a histiocytoma. These are both fairly common in younger dogs on the toes/ feet.

An inter-digital cyst will often rupture open and bleed. They also can be irritating. They are small lumps on the sides and between the toes. They typically go away on their own or we can use antibiotics to make them go away faster.

A histiocytoma is a skin tumor that is common in young dogs. It is a benign tumor, meaning it doesn't spread. These don't typically bother the dog and they usually go away on their own over 1-2 months.

To know for sure, you'd have to get a needle aspirate of the lump. That will allow your vet to look at the cells in there and determine if it should be treated, removed or just ignored.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.