Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

35 pound Australian shepherd licked or ate a small amount of

35 pound Australian shepherd licked or ate a small amount of glazing putty (window putty) is it absolutely necessary to take him to emergency hospital?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
If he only licked it and didn't really ingest any "chunks" I think you are in pretty good shape.

I wouldn't be worried about any toxicity from it, but it could predispose to stomach or intestinal distress. That would include vomiting (especially if a piece could cause obstruction), diarrhea, or loss of appetite. Also, keep an eye out for any drooling (hypersalivation).

So, the emergency trip would become needed if you run into any symptoms of distress. But, quite possible that only licking it will cause absolutely nothing.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is fresh putty, I am glazing windows at the house if he actually ate any it would have to be a very small amount. Glazing putty doesn't harden for months, so obstruction is probably unlikely. There are petroleum distillates in the putty, that is the part I was concerned about. Milk?
Hi Brent,
Good that you asked first.

Definitely, not milk. it is not digestible by dogs causing stomach upset, and acting as a natural laxative inducing diarrhea. The milk could very well be worse than a minimal putty exposure.

I am more inclined to say give nothing, that way, if anything does happen, we truly know the putty is the cause.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Hi Brent,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?