Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dogs apparently had a disagreement while I was at work because

My dogs apparently had a disagreement while I was at work because my youngest one has a wound about the size of a quarter on her side. It is not actively bleeding. It looks like a torn puncture wound. The top layer of her skin is completely off. She does not seemed bothered by it. She let me clean it, cutting the hair around it and ringing it out with peroxide. It is in a very aquard spot to bandage, tape just laying on the top layer of hair around it. Should I do anything else? Should I seek veterinary attention I the morning?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Chitsa.

Yes, absolutely worth the vet visit. it may be possible to do a quick repair with some staples or a few stitches.
But the most important reason? Immediate oral antibiotics!

Scratches and bites carry huge loads of bacteria, and we see tons of abscesses and bad infections. So, even if you cleaned well (which it sounds like you did good), the risk for infection is exceedingly high, especially with that much skin exposed.

You could apply some neosporin or other triple antibiotic in the meantime.

Sorry to hear about the injury, but it should be easily addressed with your vet.
Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Should I make sure it is covered or let it air?
Hi Stephanie, if you cover it just a little with a large bandaid that maybe can stick to the hair a bit, it would be ideal.
I think wrapping it could be difficult. you could also maybe try using a non-stick sterile paid and hold in pace with an ace wrap.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Hi Stephanie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Chitsa. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She is very well thank you. Every thing held nicely.
Great! Happy to hear it Stephanie.

Click my link and bookmark it, so you can return for future questions when needed.