Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 10 year old bosyone terrier has one eye that bulges out

My 10 year old bosyone terrier has one eye that bulges out while the other is normal (for a Boston). She recently had an ulcer in that eye, but it wss bulging prior to that. She sometimes falls down the stairs when its not well lit.

The vet tested compression in that eye and ruled out glaucoma. She suggested seeing a vet optometrist for an ultrasound of the eye.

Is this the best course of action? I want her to have the best care I can give but want to get the right test done.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I would also want to have a veterinary ophthalmologist to take a look at that eye. They will probably recheck the pressures to make sure it's not glaucoma and then do an ultrasound to look behind the eye. My guess would be a retro-bulbar mass or abscess. This means a mass or abscess behind the eye.

The ultrasound can often give us an idea of what's going on and it's non-invasive. If they don't see anything, then they would do a CT (cat scan) to look behind the eye. They'll look for a tumor, abscess/ infection, tooth root disease/ abscess or foreign body that migrated from the mouth.

Best of luck, let me know if you have any other questions.