Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

One my dogs appears to be red and maybe swollen

One my dog's testicles appears to be red and maybe swollen as well? My dog is perfectly healthy and is acting perfectly normal, but seeing that startled me.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Is it only one testicle?

Does this appear to just be the skin or if you hold the testicle does it seem hard,swollen and larger then the other?

Has he been licking the area?

How old is he?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It doesnt feel harder than the other, and he doesnt seem to go to it that often,although he has in the past.

Thank you.

From the picture it looks like some superficial skin irritation but without being able to feel it I can not say for sure.

If you feel the testicle and it feels hard, hot or abnormal at all or the redness gets worse then I would have it looked at by the vet to be sure this is not something more serious such as a twisted testicle or cancer.

For now what I would do is just clean this antibacterial soap and apply some neosporin. I would also watch to see if he is licking this more often as that can result in bacterial infections.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would he be in obvious pain if he had either of those conditions? It certainly didnt feel any harder than the other one. Do you think it looks bigger? I forgot to mention he is 2 years old.

If the testicle was twisted then yes this would be painful and he is a bit young for this to be cancer related it looks to me like just some skin irritation or bacterial infection from licking
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What are the other symptoms of twisted testicles?Does it look bigger than the other on the picture? Could the bacterial infection be serious?

Other symptoms would be of course redness and swelling ( no it does not look bigger to me from the picture) pain, reluctance to walk or walking with the hind legs spread apart, loss of appetite. Most bacterial infection are only infections of the skin and not serious but some may need oral antibiotics to clear up. I would try the washing 1-2 times per day and the neosporin and hopefully this will clear it up
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

where can i get the neosporin. If it isnt bothering him then should I be concerned?

You can neosporin or any antibiotic cream at the chemist or where they sell over the counter medication for cuts and abrasions. Even if it is still not bothering him I would still clean it and put ointment on it for a day or two
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, I just went to check him and when I felt it the redness went down, didnt feel any harder than the other but it did look larger than the other, but I dont know if that is just the shadow or not. He wasnt in pain or acting any different when I checked the area, and was just acting his normal self.

Then I really would not worry about it to much as long as he is not bothering with it. I just realized you were in the UK so I know its difficult to get neosporin. If he starts bothering it you can just use hydrocortison cream

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it normal for one of the testicles to be larger than the other?

Yes they can vary in size just as long as it is not hard and hot its fine
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It isnt hard and hot but you can see some small lumps on it.

Thats normal so I am not concerned
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When you say hard, what you mean in this context?

I mean as long as the testicle does not feel like a rock

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, that isnt the case here.

You are very welcome and I am glad that is not the case