Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

i have a 14 year old male weimeraner who is struggling to stay

i have a 14 year old male weimeraner who is struggling to stay up on his back legs... he has had this problem off and on for a couple of years and after rest and no excersise usually recovers quite well.... this time though he is very wobbly , crossing his hind legs when i stand him up and falling over a lot...a few days ago suddenlyhe was in a lot of distress when i put him up on the bed, then i took him outside and he was agitated (pacing up and down the garden) but not crying... this happened five or six times before he vomited on the bed then calmed down... after that he had a day and a half of diarrhoea ... i fasted him for 24 hours and he is now refusing to eat anything... his stomach muscles are clenching when he sleeps but he does not seem to be in distress or pain, just lethargic... can you advise me?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Is Dooby on any meds?

Is his belly hard to the touch, or soft?

Is he drinking at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hello lisa... he is not on any meds... his belly is soft and he is drinking (perhaps a bit more than usual)

Thank you Stuart...I just have another question or two...

Does his head seem to be tilted at all?

When was the last time he had diarrhea?

If you're staing into his eyes...are they still, or do they seem to be wobbly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

his head is not tilted... yesterday morning (about 36 hours ago) and his eyes are still

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

It's hard to say for sure what is going on with him. I'm tempted to say that he's got some run-of-the-mill digestive upset, and that now that the vomiting/diarrhea has passed, his system is just trying to reset itself.

Of course, in a geriatric dog, it's always better to err on the side of caution, so I would definitely try to encourage him to eat something. You could try rubbing a little maple syrup or honey on his gums to give him a bit of a sugar boost. Sometimes once they get that little bump, they'll be willing to eat.

As for the increased ataxia in those rear legs, I worry that he's got something like spondylosis (a gradual narrowing of the spine that can compress the nerves..making them have a hard time walking) that is compromising his mobility.

If he were really a younger dog, I'd absolutely just keep an eye on things...but since he's an older gentleman, I really think giving your vet a quick call, just to make sure they don't want to take a peek at him is the way to go.

Hopefully it's nothing too serious. As the owner of nothing but geriatric companion animals, I know first hand how hard it is to weigh out their quality of life...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have tried rubbing honey on his gums already... he has always been a voracious eater so I'm worried that he still wont eat... also, what about the stomach contractions?.. even while sleeping its still happening

The contractions you're seeing is likely the normal vasiculations of the digestive system. The body contracts the muscles along the digestive tract to move things along, and if the body is still trying to rid itself of whatever was bothering it, it can keep that contraction going.

I'm not too worried about it at this point...the not eating and ataxia are a bit more worrying to me.