Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

i have a 7yr old bichon who has been on Temaril P since he

i have a 7yr old bichon who has been on Temaril P since he was 6 months old due to allergies. in the last few weeks he has scab like sores on his back. this is fairly new, has never had these kind of sores before. He usually scratches and licks his paws when the allergies are acting up. We do get cortisone shots every 3 to 4 months also. Was on allergy shots for 4 yrs. which really didnt help, just gave him some relief. Do you have any advise for this sweet loving boy.?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

When was the last time Pepe had blood work done?

Do you know if they've ever tested his thyroid?

Do the sores seem itchy?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

pepe has regular blood work because of the Temaril P,i dont think the thyroid has ever been tested, he cant get to the sores because they are straight down his back.

Thanks for the extra information Lisa. I really appreciate it.

I have a dog on Temaril P as well, so know that most vets do check the liver/kidney values every 6 months or so, but as a general rule, they don't test the thyroid at the same time.

Because Pepe is 7, I can't help but wonder if these sores are due to a problem with his thyroid. It's actually very common for a dog to develop skin issues with thyroid problems, and your description of them sounds pretty much spot on.

If he were mine, I'd call the vet and ask them to run a thyroid panel. I strongly suspect it's going to come up that he's having a thyroid issue. Then, it's just a little medication to get him regulated again, and the sores will clear up.

I hope this helps.