Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog ate a mineral block that was made for our hermit crab,

My dog ate a mineral block that was made for our hermit crab, he is diabetic. It mostly contains vitamins and different fish meal, shrimp meal, krill meal etc...is this ok or should I be contacting a vet soon
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

There's no real concern with this mineral block.

The amount of vitamins/supplements in it are essentially a dose that would work for a hermit crab...and since your dog is obviously very, very much bigger than the crab, there's no problem.

Of course, some dogs, just like some humans, can be allergic to shellfish, so I'd keep an eye on him, just to make sure that he's not going to have an allergic reaction to the shrimp/ect. in it.

If you do notice any swelling or anything, you can give Benadryl...1-2mg/pound, so if he weighs 50 pounds, he could have between 2-4 of the regular 25mg tablets once every 8 hours until the reaction subsides. And I'm sure it goes without saying that if he does have an allergic reaction and the Benadryl doesn't help, then you should have him seen by an emergency vet...just to be safe.

I hope this helps.