Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hi.My eight year old red setter can lie quietly but has lots

Hi.My eight year old red setter can lie quietly but has lots of periods where she pants heavily and excessively even when it is cool. She has had a blood test which says her liver and heart are only a little unusual. She was bitten by two adders 4 years ago which may have damaged her organs. She is always reluctant to exercise but can walk 13 miles. Her stomach hangs down flabby and loose a bit even though she is not very overweight. She is on no medication. She has recently started scrounging for food even though she eats far too much and she drinks OK. Her appetite is now huge. Her nose is dry and she sometimes gets a temperature in her head
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Mollie is having some trouble.

You actually mentioned a few really important things that could all very well be related to one and other. Panting, hanging/sagging or Pot belly, and increased appetite to the point of scrounging for or stealing food are often associated with a condition called Cushings disease. This is not able to be diagnosed by a normal blood test and very specific testing needs to be done, In most cases we will start with a low dose dex test followed by and ACTH test if needed. Click here for additional information on Cushing disease

I would also be sure that they thyroid levels were tested as this too can cause some of the symptoms.

I would highly recommend asking your vet about testing for Cushings disease. I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

What is the treatment? What happens if we don't treat her? Is it life threatening? Is the treatment effective?

What about her bottom? Her glands fill every month and often go septic. She is constantly licking her bottom when we are trying to walk and poos lots of little bits and strains rather than one big amount. Her poo is a softish but nice consistency most of the time, but not runny. Like an uncooked sausage consistency.

Expert:  Candy replied 10 months ago.
Treatment depends on the type of Cushings and the over all health of the dog. Some owners not to treat at all. Left untreated these dogs are prone to infections, hypothyroidism, pancreatitis, diabetes, high blood pressure and kidney and liver disease.

As for her bottom I have a few questions. The glands most likely keep filling because the stool is not firm like it should be which causes the glands to empty every time she goes. With soft stool this does not happen and the glands fill.
We need to establish why the stool is soft all the time.

Can you tell me if a stool sample was sent to the lab or did they just try deworming?
What brand of food is she eating?