Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005

My nine year old female great dane has had orange diarrhea

My nine year old female great dane has had orange diarrhea for two weeks now with some weight loss. She is not lethargic.Imodyum nor a chicken and rice diet have helped. Anything else I can try as spending hundreds in diagnostic tests at the vet are not an option.

Hi there, and thank you for your question. I am a licensed veterinarian and would be happy to assist you. If your dog is not on heartworm preventative, then I could consider parasites to be a possible cause for the diarrhea, and I would recommend you stop at a pet store and buy some over the counter dewormer and give a dose. If she is on monthly heartworm preventative, then parasites are less likely. In that case, I would try fiber supplementation. You can give 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of Metamucil mixed with her food twice daily. I would also try probiotics... ideally, a product formulated for dogs, and you can buy them at pet stores. A product like this would work:

Or you can try giving plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons twice daily. I would stop giving the Immodium, because you should not use it longer than 2 days. '

To recap, give dewormer, Metamucil, and probiotics or yogurt. Give it a week or so to see if signs resolve. Hope this helps... best of luck! Please feel free to reply before rating my service if you have further questions.