Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Hello, I found a golden retriever/mix on the road out in the

I found a golden retriever/mix on the road out in the middle of nowhere. She hasn't been take care of and looks old. She has what appears to be swelling on her chest and on her back near her tail that looks like she is wearing a helmet back there. She drinks alot of water and urinates frequently but not a lot of flow and her urine is the reddish color and has an odor. She gets around OK and takes short walks. Is there something we can do for her?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

It sounds like this girl may have a couple things going on...

First...the drinking and urinating can be a sign of diabetes. Of course, if she has this and isn't treated, it will keep her drinking/urinating and can be fatal if left untreated.

Secondly...the reddish color to her urine and foul odor is likely due to a urinary tract infection. If she's not spayed, it's also possible it could be a uterine infection called a 'pyometra'. These can both be life threatening if left untreated.

I think the absolute best thing to do is to have a vet take a peek at her. They'll get her figured out, get her on meds and get her feeling much better.

And thanks for taking her takes a very special person to take in an older stray!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anything I can do for her without the the cost of taking her to a vet?

Unfortunately there's nothing that you can really do over-the-counter.

I understand that you(like so many other people) are in a hard financial spot right now. There are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: ,, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: , you can see if there is one in your area.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What could be causing the swelling on her back and chest?

It's hard to say Dennis.

It could be a fatty mass called a lipoma. It could also be edema (fluid trapped in the soft tissue) from things like a bad heart.
Hi Dennis,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Odie. How is everything going?