Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

My daughter picked up a dog (approx. 9 mo. old, lab/sheppard

My daughter picked up a dog (approx. 9 mo. old, lab/sheppard mix) yesterday. I don't know the history of the dog other than its original owner died in June. The dog twitches with every heartbeat. It's almost as if the heartbeat is so strong that it causes the dog to flinch. The twitching behavior has been going on for at least a couple of months from what I've been able to gather from my daughters friends. Is this a serious condition? What could cause it?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions....

Does the twitching ever stop (like when he's sleeping/eating/ect)?

Does he seem to have any other issues?

Do you know how the original owner died (natural causes or...)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The twitching never stops, not even when the dog is sleeping. He doesn't seem to have any other issues. He even tries to play with my other 2 dogs. The original owner died from drowning (had a seizure while swimming in a lake).

And I assume the dog had a complete physical when he was in rescue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The dog (Django) has never been to the vet. Django was picked by my daughters friend (Justin) from a litter when it was a puppy. Justin died in June. Django stayed with some of Justin's friends in the country until yesterday, when my daughter picked Django up and brought him to my house. The friends said he's been doing the twitch thing for a couple of months (didn't say if it's been getting worse and I can't get in touch with them to find out anymore info). I'm on a limited budget and was just wondering if this is life threatening to the dog or what.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It's hard to know for certian what is causing the twitching in Django. It's possible that he's just a high-strung puppy who twitches, but it's also possible that these are actually something called 'focal seizures', where a small group of muscles twitches. We commonly see this as something referred to as 'fly biting', but it can and does affect all kinds of muscle groups.

I do understand that you're on a limited income, but the absolute best thing at this point is for Django to have a quick check up at the vet. Since focal seizures can be caused by many, many things that range from brain inujuries to ingestion of toxins and even to underlying medical issues, it's good that the vet takes a peek.

Luckily, we live in a country that views dogs as companions instead of livestock, and as such, there are many, many different organizations that may be able to help you fund a trip to the vet. There are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: ,, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: , you can see if there is one in your area.

If all else fails, give your local animal shelter/humane society a call and ask if they have any programs for well-puppy checks. Most do.

Once the vet takes a peek, he can determine if this is soemthing serious, or just a growing puppy kind of thing...

I hope this helps...sounds like Django is in a much better, more solid place.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help! It is greatly appreciated :)

You are very, very welcome!!