Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

One eye seems to be enlarged, protruding, in a Maltise dog

One eye seems to be enlarged, protruding, in a Maltise dog about 10 years old that I take care of. It doesn't seem to bother her at this point, she already is blind or nearly so, but I am worried about this condition. Her owner is an elderly gentleman that I also help take care of, on a fixed income , and concerned about the cost of everything. I do vet his dog, but the eye specialist I took my little Shih Tzu to cost me $200 for the first visit . He is afraid to spend so much on his dog at this point. What are the possibilities of this condition please ?

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Juliette's situation with her eye. At this time, an eye that appears enlarged / protruding has to be suspect for a mass behind the eye causing it to be pushed forward or glaucoma of that eye. These are two of the most common causes for an eye to be enlarged / pushed forward. At this time, the situation is one that doesn't necessarily require an eye specialist at this time. A general veterinarian at this point can do a good eye evaluation and determine what is the cause and then what can be done to help her. If this is glaucoma, it can be very uncomfortable and she should get treatment to help control / treat it. Please let me know what questions this brings up.