Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog is eating and drinking. pooping and peeing.He is only

My dog is eating and drinking. pooping and peeing.He is only 2 years old. He has been lethargic for 4 days. Vet took X-rays of digestive system no blockage or foreign objects. Blood work showed nothing and he has no temperature. He does not run or greet and trouble going up stairs. It's like he has turned into an old man. What has my vet missed cause all this cost $650, and no diagnosis?

Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 12 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry that Today's not feeling well. To best help, I need to ask some questions.

1) How long has he been vomiting? When did it start?
2) How long ago was the x-rays and blood work?
3) Does he eat things he shouldn't?
4) Did they parvo virus test him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yoda only vomited yesterday after I gave him 3 tsp of castor oil mixed in his food. The symptoms of lethargy started Friday sept 30. He was fine the night before when I took him for walk. X-rays and blood work were done on Saturday along with 2 enemas. Had a good size poop on Sunday. Actually perked up for about 5 mins.
Yes he does try to eat stuff on walks and we have had occasions where he has chewed eraser or pencils.
No I asked vet about para virus and he said no to that. Did not test him for that should I go back and ask for that to be done?
Thanks for that information Susan. After the vomit yesterday, has he been eating and drinking normally today?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We fed him a smaller portion and he ate it all. No vomit today.
That is good that he ate all his food today and hasn't had any more vomiting. When they did blood work, did they check a CBC (white and red blood cell count) as well as a chemistry panel (looking at how his liver and kidneys were working)?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He did a 13 chemistry blood work and told me all was good. I have read that sometimes these tests can be misleading? Could he have an infection without a temperature? We need our puppy to be healthy again!
Typically an infection is something that is picked up on / suspected for when a patient has a fever and also has an elevation of white blood cells on their CBC. Can one have an infection and not have this? I've seen cases like that so it isn't an absolute that he doesn't have one. It would just not be that suspect for him. That is good that the 13 chemistry blood work was all good as that covers a lot of organs and their functions. Sometimes tests have to be correctly interpreted in light of the situation, but if they are normal, then that should be accurate. It is good again that he's eating and drinking. If he was still vomiting or not eating / drinking, then my concern would be hedged towards the intestinal tract as x-rays are not 100% complete for ruling out intestinal blockage. I've seen cases where blockages have been present and plain films are not interesting. Parvo virus can happen in dogs and look like this, but I would be more apt to test for it if he wasn't eating or vomiting again.

At this point, one thing to consider with him is Lyme's testing to see if there is a chance of Lyme disease. It is a quick blood test. Another thing to consider is a trial of oral pain medication to see if that helps the situation. Some can have nonspecific soft tissue injuries that just "hamper" or "slow" down a dog and they need time and rest to get over it.

I know you want Today to get back to his normal self and I'm hoping that he'll be there soon!
Hi Susan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Today. How is everything going?