Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

OUR 5 MONTH OLD PUPPY IS 28#. HE JUST ATE ABOUT 50 OF THE GRASS

OUR 5 MONTH OLD PUPPY IS 28#. HE JUST ATE ABOUT 50 OF THE GRASS GUARD TABLETS. HE VOMITED 4 TIMES AND HAS DIARRHEA. HE IS A LITTLE UNSTEADY ON HIS FEET. HE HAS BEEN DRINKING LOTS OF WATER. HE WAS VERY ACTIVE AFTER BUT WE ARE PRETTY WORRIED. IT IS 9PM AND THE VET ISN'T OPEN UNTIL 8 AM. IS THERE ANYTHING WE CAN DO TO HELP HIM? WORRIED IN OREGON
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Harlow.
That is a lot of tablets. Ideally, i would really really want you to get into an emergency vet for supportive care.

Find An Emergency VeterinarXXXXX XXXXXnk
Second Link to find an ER

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

These are my 4 best choices to try and help settle the stomach some. Pepto is the only one that would also benefit diarrhea problems.

Try not to let him drink a lot of water at once as it will overdistend the stomach and cause more vomiting. I would suggest only a shallow bowl of water every few hours.

Very sorry to hear what happened. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Sandie,
If you could give one of those antacids, it may still take a few hours for it to help settle the stomach. Good Luck and let me know if you have any questions or problems with the antacids.

Hi Sandie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Harlow. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry about the late response. He's doing fine. I continued to give him Pepto Bismal for 3 days and the diarrhea and vomiting resolved after about a week. He is a very active and athletic 5 month old puppy. Thanks for your help. Sandie

Happy to hear everything is improved Sandie.
Have a nice rest of the day.