Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Our two year old GR has been drooling all day long. at dinner

Our two year old GR has been drooling all day long. at dinner he did not eat unless i stood over him. he seems to drool excessively when eating or drinking. i made him take a drink of water and he started drooling excessively. he has been out to pee a couple of times tonight but doesn't pass a stool until the morning usually. he is just lying around and not playful like usual. he is 2 years old.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Any possibility Maverick got into something unusual?

Is his belly hard to the touch, or soft?

Does he get bones, rawhides or people food?

Does the drool seem clear or cloudy?

Have you noticed an unusual or bad smell from his mouth?

Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we live on 40 acres so he has a lot of things outside. his belly seems soft. drool is clear. some people food not much. not really a bad smell besides dog breath nothing unnormal

Perfect. Thanks for the additional information Jeff. I really appreciate it.

It's hard to say what is causing this drooling from your dog. At first I suspected that he had some kind of dental issue such as an infection, but since the drool is clear and odorless, it's doubtful that's what is going on.

I also wondered about nausea causing the drooling, but in the absence of other symtoms, I'm hesitant to think that there's something like bloat or GDV going on.

I think if he were mine, since this has only been going on for a short time, I'd assume that maybe he ate something weird when he was out on the acreage that is causing him to be a little queasy. Since he's not actively vomiting and isn't acting unusual except for the drooling, I think it's okay to just monitor him for tonight.

If the drooling subsides, we'll assume he just ate something weird.

If the drooling doesn't stop by morning, then you shoudl have your vet take a peek, just to make sure there's nothing lodged in his teeth or digestive tract causing him to be so drooly.

And of course, it goes without saying that if he gets sicker over the night, if he starts having any vomiting or diarrhea, or if he seems to get confused or have problems with his coordination, then you should have him seen by an emergency vet...just to be safe.

Most times though, this resolves by morning with no issues.

I hope this helps.
Hi Jeff,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maverick. How is everything going?