Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Hello, I am Peace Corps volunteer living in a developing country

I am Peace Corps volunteer living in a developing country with no vet available. My 3 month old puppy has been sick for the last few days. He does not have an appetite, dry nose, and has been acting somewhat lethargic. Yesterday I gave him water and whole milk (since he would not eat his dog food), today he won't eat anything. He hasn't had any shots and there is no where I can take him to get checked. What can I do/what should I look out for?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Has Tyrion been doing any vomiting or diarrhea?

Are his gums pale?

Does he seem hotter than usual?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has been vomiting, but since he has not been eating, not much comes out. The vomit it kind of bubble-y/clear. I have not seen his feces (our compound is big and I never see where he goes). Yes, he feels hotter than usual. And I have not checked his gums (I am not near him now or I would check).

Have you noticed if there's been any blood in the vomit?

Does he have an unsual scent to him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No blood in the vomit that I have noticed, but I noticed his breath smelled like blood. His body is not giving off a strange scent, just his mouth.

Thanks for answering my questions Kay. I really appreciate it.

Unfortunately to me, this sounds a great deal like Parvo. When you described him having breath that smells like blood, it made me think that's what is going on.

Parvo is an incredibly contagious, usually fatal intestinal disease that dogs get who haven't been vaccinated thoroughly for the illness.

Unfortunately when the symptoms of Parvo appear, the dog has already been infected with the illness for a while.

The best chance at survival your dog has now is to be in a veterinary clinic, receiving intensive care. He needs IV fluids, antibiotics, medications to stop the diarrhea and eventual vomiting. Parvo is not an illness that can be successfully treated at home.

I do understand that you're in a remote location and may not have access to a vet, but I would recommend trying to find someone even if it means you have to drive a ways.

There is a great website that discusses this in depth and does go over some home treatments here:

IF it turns out he does have Parvo, odds aren't great, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for him and hope that it turns out he's just got an upet stomach for some reason.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yeah, I googled the symptoms and was thinking that too. Unfortunately I live on a remote island in the middle of the Pacific, so there is absolutely no way I can get him to a vet. If it is Parvo, how long will he be sick before he dies? Will he just become more and more lethargic until he dies? What should I expect?

Is it contagious to humans? Should I stay away from him? Also there are 8 other adult dogs on the compound, can they catch it from him?

OKay...let's tackle the questions one at a time....

How long before he dies? It's hard to say. If this is parvo, some dogs can last for a week or so, some will only last a few days. Sadly, the progression is that the dog becomes lethargic, and then develops bloody vomit and diarrhea. Most often, the dog dies of dehydration from the fluid losses. If there was a way for you to get access to IV fluids and medication to get the vomiting/diarrhea to stop when it starts, you could see if that helps, but unfortunately, the fatality rate is somewhere around 85% for dogs who have it.

Is it contagious to humans. No. Absolutely not.

Should you stay away from him? No. Absolutely not.

Can the other dogs get it? Unfortunately, yes. Parvo is highly contagious and can live in the environment or years.
Hi Kay,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Tyrion. How is everything going?