Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog (a 33# XXXXX doodle) returned from a sitter last night

My dog (a 33# XXXXX doodle) returned from a sitter last night after we were away for the weekend. She seemed fine though she was tired after playing with a larger dog and she slept upon our arrival at home.

This morning, she was very slow during our walk and lagged behind me. She then refused to climb the stairs to our apartment even when enticed with a treat (I had to carry her). She slept for another couple of hours and then as I was leaving, I noticed that she was limping.

This afternoon, it seems to have gotten worse; she has a swollen area (somewhere between the size of a tennis ball and a golf ball) near her hip, above her back left knee. She yelps if you pick her up and cried loudly after trying to stretch. She still seemed happy at first but is becoming less and less willing to move.

Is this a condition that should warrant serious concern? Should we attempt to treat at home and monitor her symptoms, make a vet appointment, or go straight to an animal hospital?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

It sounds like there may be an abscess that you are feeling. That would cause the swelling, pain and reluctance to walk. It can also cause a fever, which would explain the lethargy.

I would get a vet to stick a needle in the swelling and look for inflammatory cells or pus. If it's an abscess, then it can be drained, flushed and then she'll be put on antibiotics.

If it's a soft tissue swelling from some type of injury, then they'll likely put her on an anti-inflammatory pain med and no antibiotics.

Either way, this should be able to be resolved over the next few days.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is that to say that you would recommend making an appointment at the vet as soon as possible, but that finding an animal hospital is probably not necessary?

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Right, I would get an appointment in the next day or two. It doesn't sound like you need to run to an emergency vet though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK - is it acceptable to provide her with some type of over the counter anti-inflammatory in the mean time? Ibuprofen perhaps?

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
No. Ibuprofen, Aleve and Tylenol are all toxic in dogs. Aspirin is ok, but we can't use it within 7-10 days of the pain meds we typically use. If you gave it, you would handcuff the vet from being able to use safer and more effective pain meds.

I would just keep her crated or confined to keep her from moving around too much on the leg until you get her seen.
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hi Chris,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sophia. How is everything going?