Dr. J.
Dr. J., Veterinarian
Experience:  I have practiced veterinary medicine with a diverse case load for over 24 years.
27344366

My shepherd mix (possible kishond/turvieren/lab) 12 year old

My shepherd mix (possible kishond/turvieren/lab) 12 year old male has developed what looks like a second pupil in his right eye. He has developing cataracts also. He has no symptoms of anything negative, no blinking or apparent sensitivity of his eyes. A friend mentioned it could be a rare retinal cyst. Not sure if I need worry about this?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. J. replied 11 months ago.

Dr. J. :

HI, I would be happy to help you today with this problem. My name IsXXXXX and I have been in practice for 23 years.Is the color of this object in his eye brown or black?

Dr. J. :

Ok, I will go ahead and give you info since you have not responded to my question. My concern with a Shepherd mix and what you have described bearing in mind that I cannot examine Mr Sam is a possible melanoma. That is my primary concern. The best way to determine if in fact it is melanoma is to have a veterinary ophthalmologist examine the eye. They have a very special type of light that will allow them to be able to tell if it is a malignant lesion or a benign lesion. If it is a melanoma and has not spread then Sam can have his eye removed and be cured. If it is a melanoma, the longer you wait to have an ophthalmologist look at it the greater the chance for spread. Sure, it could be a uveal cyst but with his breed and age tumor is much more likely and the reason I am encouraging to get it checked out soon. Please let me know if you have any further questions at all as I will be glad to assist you further. Sincerely, Dr.J

Customer:

Sorry, I had to leave the computer for a few minutes... The spot looks black, if that tells you anything? You've got me concerned now!

Dr. J. :

I did not mean to worry you. I just want Sam to be ok. And the best way for him to be ok, is to have a vet ophtho doc look at it. A GP vet cannot tell you whether it is melanoma or not. They can only speculate. But if not spread, it can be cured easily. Does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes, it does. But just out of interest...the difference between a brown or black spot is?....

Dr. J. :

Melanomas can look black or brown. Usually having an ophtho doc look at it is not a big deal. And most GP vets can take the eye out if necessary. And dogs do great with one eye. Also can look and see if he really has cataracts or just age change in his lenses. Pretty simple tests for vet ophtho doc.

Customer:

Well, it looks as though I need to have him checked out ASAP. Thanks so much. Final question - if the doc finds it's benign, does he still need to lose the eye???

Dr. J. :

If it is benign and not affecting any structures in the eye or causing increase in intraocular pressure, then Sam can keep his eye! :))Please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you. I want you to feel comfortable with what you need to do.

Customer:

Thank you so much. You've helped a great deal!!

Dr. J. :

You are more than welcome. If you need anything else, just ask for DrJ. Good luck to you and Mr Sam!!

Customer:

Thanks!! Actually, he has a sore hind knee, and now I'm reckoning I'd best get him checked out even more in case he has mets to his leg...hope not, as he's always had clicky hips - a rescue, emaciated at 1 year old, etc., lots of PT in the pool on the treadmill, etc. But in the past six months a sore leg that comes and goes. Oh well. Now I know what I must do.

Dr. J. :

With that sore leg, also have 4DX test done too.This will check for different tick borne disease. It is probably not from tumor in eye.

Customer:

4DX - a blood test?

Dr. J. :

Glad to hear you did PT with him. I am a certified canine rehab therapist. Yes, 4dx is blood test and they only need a few drops of blood.

Customer:

Yes, got a rescue to avoid high pedigree fees...and spent $1000 on rehab!!!!!!!!!!!! But we love him dearly. I so appreciate your help Dr J!

Dr. J. :

Glad to help you anytime!!!!

Dr. J., Veterinarian
Experience: I have practiced veterinary medicine with a diverse case load for over 24 years.
Expert:  Dr. J. replied 10 months ago.
Please let me know what you find out about Mr. Sam. I sure hope he does ok. Sincerely, DRJ