Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Hello, My 3 year old Black lab mix, Kobe, does not have

My 3 year old Black lab mix, Kobe, does not have much use of his back legs. They look limp and it goes in and out of severity. Sometimes he can sort of walk with dragging his legs. Sometimes he won't use them at all. He does not seem to be in pain but just lays around. It also seems like he does not have use of his tail but it could be him just not wagging it. When I try to see if he is in pain by rubbing and touching his hips/legs/back it does not phase him. He also will sometimes eat and then sometimes not have an appetite. He usually LOVES food so it seems he does have a loss of appetite. I have listed some more information about him below and would love to know what you think it could be. It has been 2 days and he has an appointment with the vet today. Thank you for any help or advice you might have.

Type of Dog: Black Lab mix (we think Shepherd) (He's a rescue)
Size: Large
Weight: 100 lbs (is a little thick but I would not say overweight)(Honestly)
Appetite: Still eats all his food but isn't as excited. Gets excited about treats and wants to eat all of our human food we are eating. He is still drinking water regularly.
Bowels: Regular (He did not urinate for a half a day but has been regular since that) (Probably because he did not want to stand)
Injuries: As far as I know I did not see him hurt himself. He tried to jump on the bed and fell but that was when his legs started to not work a little.
Past Health Issues: None. We have had problems with our other dog(German Shepherd) but he has always been a champ and has never had any health issues.
Medicine: Gave him some Aleve yesterday and this morning. Did not seem to improve anything.
Concerns: I am scared he will never be able to use his legs again. Do dogs recover from stuff like this?

Thanks again for all of your help!!
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am so sorry to hear Kobe is having some trouble with his back legs. In this breed my first concern would be that he could have a bulging disc in the spine that is protruding in to the spinal canal causing problems with hind limb and tail movement. Here is additional information on this
While more often seen in older dogs spinal tumors can cause the same problem.
Other possibilities could include
* Tick borne diseases
* Fungal infections such as valley fever
* Encephalitis

I know you are only trying to make him more comfortable but I would not recommend giving any additional Aleve. Nuproxin is not a drug we use in dogs and this can actually lead to kidney damage and destruction of the stomach lining resulting in bleeding. Please read the following information on the effects of nuproxin in dogs

Unfortunately this is going to take a hands on exam and most likely some images of the spine to provide a proper diagnosis. Some problems with discs in the spine are not able to be seen on x rays and your vet may refer you to a specialist for an MRI.

Can a dog recover from this type of problem in most cases yes but the cause has to be found and properly treated.
I would try to get him in to the vet as soon as possible. I would not give any additional over the counter medication and I would let the vet know that you have given the Aleve as it will prevent them from giving certain drugs for 7 days.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear but unfortunately without knowing the actual cause our hands are tied as to what should or can be done. Until you get him in I would keep him as still as possible. He should not be up walking except to go out to potty. You can use a heating pad on low covered with a towel on the lower back to help with any discomfort.

I hope this helps give you some direction. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your quick reply. We are headed to the Vet today. I usually will wait 48 hours before heading to the vet because of previous urgent rushes to the vet leading to expensive bills and not needing to go at all. I am bummed that I gave him Aleve. I read somewhere to give him non-steroidal anti inflammatory and Aleve is what I had. Anyway, thank you for your help. I am hoping it is nothing to serious and he recovers fully. I miss my fun loving excited pup. Thanks again for your help.

You are very welcome. I completely understand waiting the 48 hours to see if this will work themselves out because in many cases they do. Giving the Aleve is something we see often so do not beat yourself up over it just be sure to let the vet know he had it so they do not give any medications that could interact with it.

Please let me know how things go at the vet today and give him a good pet from me .
Hi Layla,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Kobe. How is everything going?

Candy