Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

I have a 47 kg 2.5 yr old German Shepherd Entire Male who yesterday

I have a 47 kg 2.5 yr old German Shepherd Entire Male who yesterday began to exhibit some arching of his back (so little that of a family of 5 I am the only one who noticed it) . He did not seem to get any worse and this morning ate his breakfast, went to the toilet - urinated heaps and defecated. About 2 hours later he seemed unsteady on his feet and about 6 hours after this was unable to use his back legs at all. He still jerks his leg away if you tickle his paws but is totally unable to weight bear. I have him at the vets but they are stumped about what it is and how to treat him. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Hello and welcome.

This is not an information request but just a short message to introduce myself.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon, I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

Please give me fifteen minutes or so to think through your particular problem, prepare an answer, and then type things up. I will then get back to you and we can then talk things over.

Hello again Judi and thanks for waiting.

I have worked out an answer for you, please read it through and see what you think ...

1. If Duke's back legs have suddenly become paralysed then this is likely to be a spinal lesion of some kind. In the past I have seen quite a few cases like yours, the majority were inter-vertebral disk lesions { slipped disk } which were pressuring the spinal cord. This sort of incident fairly common in dogs and can happen spontaneously without any history of trauma.

2. Diagnostic tests such as X-ray or other imaging is without doubt your best way forward. Some slipped disk type lesions can be operated on, some can be resolved with rest and anti-inflammatory drugs but your priority now is diagnosis. Other diagnosis are possible other than slipped disks, this includes rare neurological diseases and such things as cancer of the spinal cord but these are possibilities would be rare.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Hi Judi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Duke. How is everything going?

Scott Nimmo