Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I just accidentally gave my 55 lb dog 1.4 ml of Ivermectin.

I just accidentally gave my 55 lb dog 1.4 ml of Ivermectin. It was meant for my other dog but was given to the wrong dog accidentally. I'm worried because I know that you have to gradually get up to that dose and he's never had it before. Also he's 14. What should I do?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Did you give it orally or did you inject it?

Is Copper on any other medications?

Approximately how long ago did you give it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

orally. he is on metacam, tramadol 50mg and clavamox. I gave it to him about 5 min ago. Our 50 lb puppy takes it everyday just fine but we get to that dose over about 4 days time.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since he did get more Ivermectin than he should have (the 'average' dose is 0.1cc per 10 pounds of body weight....so your guy should have gotten about 1/2 of a cc.

Since you did give it orally, and recently, then the best thing to do is to induce vomiting to help get it out of his system. The way to make that happen is pretty easy and instructions can be found here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If you're unable to get him to vomit, then I'd highly suggest you have him seen by a vet tonight. If you're unsure of where an emergency vet is in your area, you can go to: www.vetlocator.com and they'll point you in the right direction.

If there's no emergency vet, and you're forced to wait until morning to have him see his regular vet, you'll need to keep an eye on him for signs of toxicity. There's a great website that goes over the possible effects here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ivermectin-toxicity/page1.aspx

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok I'll watch him and try what you said. thanks