Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My dog has also been vomiting on and off for about a month

My dog has also been vomiting on and off for about a month now.Over the past week, it has gotten very bad. It started out as maybe once every 2 or 3 days and slowly increased. I thought it may have been his new food, so I switched back to an old food and he vomited 3-4 times that night and 2x more the next morning. I took hm to the vet that day (Thursday) and they ran tests and gave him fluids for dehyfration (he began drinking a lot of water) pepsid and prescription diet for GI isses. He did not vomit for the next day but started again yesterday. The vet's office said the tests showed he was dehydrated but everything else was normal. They said they could do an x ray if it continues. Would an obstruction be this slow? They did not seem to think that was the problem and just suggested I continue using the pills and food and he shold be okay but I am not seeing that.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 9 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for requesting me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Gonzo is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Do you know if they did a test specifically for pancreatitis?

How are his stools?

When you switched the food did you switch back all at once ?

Does he ever eat things he should not ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes pancreatitis was tested. All of the results they got back so far were normal. I think she said she was waiting on 2 more. I do know his blood sugar levels were normal.

I normally don't notice his stools because he has a doggy door and goes out on his own but started watching this weekend and they were lose but formed, not diarrhea. He also has not had any accidents in the house and is locked in at night.

Yes, I switched back all at once. I was worried there was something in the food (wellness core) like spoiled etc, and I order it, so I couldn't buy a bag locally. I switched back to kibbles and bits, which he still eats at doggie daycare. so this was not new to him.

Gonzo will eat anything. I am a diabetic and he has eaten insulin needles.

Expert:  Candy replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

The first thing I would suggest is an x ray. I never say that a object can not be causing the problems. For example a few months ago we removed a piece of a plastic butter tin lid from a large dog and when the owner found out what it was they said he had eaten that more then a month before. It is possible for an object to be in the stomach and just moving around sometimes allowing food to empty out of the stomach and other times preventing it depending on exactly where it is sitting at the time.

It is also possible that there is a mass in the abdomen so any time there has been vomiting for this long and blood work is normal then x rays really need to be done.Now its also important to know that not all things will show on x ray so sometimes the best option is to do either an ultrasound or a barium study which is done by giving barium orally then taking a series of x rays to watch as it moves through the digestive tract looks for any highlighted objects or any areas where the barium is not flowing though properly.

If he has shepherd in his mix then a condition called EPI should also be considered as this can result in bacterial over growth causing chronic vomiting. This is possible in any breed but very common in shepherds Click here for more on this

The change in diet and the fact that he was getting different food at daycare and at home can also cause digestive upset. Once you get this figured out I would suggest finding a good quality food that he can eat rather then the kibbles& bits. I know dogs love this but it really is a low grade food full of artificial preservatives and additives so not the best things health wise.

I would give your vet a call tomorrow and try to get x rays done as soon as possible.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to help.
Candy

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX this site through Google and saw that you answered someone with a similar issue, with vets in her area. Do you know of any vets in the Tucson, Sierra Vista area you would recommend? I know my vet can x-ray but they never mentioned the barium or ultrasound and would like to know where I should go if he needs this. Thank you.

Expert:  Candy replied 9 months ago.
I am glad you were able to find us and through google and Thank you for trusting me to help with Gonzo.

Most regular vets can do a barium study but not the ultrasound this really should be done by a specialist so you know that you are getting an accurate reading.

Since this has been going on for so long it may be best to take him to a speciality hospital in Tucson. There are some good ones in that area .

Southern Arizona Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center

They have two locations

141 E Fort Lowell Rd
Tucson, AZ
(520)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
7474 E Broadway Blvd
Tucson, AZ
(520)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>

Veterinary Specialty Center

4909 N La Cañada Dr
Tucson, AZ
(520)(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>

Please keep me posted on how he is doing. Give him a good pet from me and tell him I hope he feels better soon
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer