Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My toy poodle ate several grasshoppers one our walk two days

My toy poodle ate several grasshoppers one our walk two days ago. Now she cannot keep anything down. She hasn't eaten since yesterday morning an now has dry heaves since there is nothing in her system to throw up anymore. Our vet won't be open for nine hours. Will she be okay until then?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Koda is having some trouble after eating the grasshoppers. I have never seen any serious toxicity problem from grasshoppers nor can I find any thing in my toxicology books saying that any species are toxic so this could be due to eating something else but of course there is no way for me to say for sure.

You could try giving some Pepcid AC 1/4 of a 10mg tablet to settle the stomach for tonight. I would not try to offer any additional food until you can have her seen in the morning. You can rub a little pancake syrup or honey on her gums to keep her glucose levels normal and offer a little pedialyte just a few spoonfuls at a time so she does not vomit.

If she can not keep the Pepcid AC down, continues to dry heave or declines in any way then I would consider taking her in to the emergency room tonight. If she settles down and is able to sleep then you can having her seen first thing in the morning should be fine.

I hope she does ok, Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she dry heaved about half hour ago. the stuff got stuck in her mouth since it was so thick. does this change anything? thank you for your help!

Poor girl. I would try to get some Pepcid in her and see if this settles her stomach. You can also offer 1 table spoon of Pedialyte or an ice cube if she will lick that. If she continues to dry heave then I would try to have her seen tonight so they can at least give her injectable medication to stop the vomiting.
Hi Mike,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Koda. How is everything going?

Candy