Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian
9138059

Doctor, First Thank you. XXXXX am laying here with

Doctor,
First Thank you. XXXXX am laying here with mu pug/Lhasa She is 11 yo. All of the sudden she seems to be hallucinating. Looking around at nothing. And seems startled at nothing. Her sister had seizure disorder for years. I am afraid that this is an aura.
Please tell me what I can do. Our emergency vet is terrible. I am an ARNP. I have Ativan. Can I give it to her ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 months ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info about

- Has this episode finished? Or is it ongoing?
- Does she respond to you?
- Is she still eating and drinking as per normal?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1.) All of her other behaviors are normal. She ate more then usual. Appearing hungry. Not her usual.
2.) She urinated and defecated earlier this evening. Appeared normal.
3.) She often licks the air a habit for years
4.) yes, the behavior is continuing. She keeps appearing startled and looking around.
5.).This was an aura for her sister. Who had seizure disorder which developed around 8 years of age.
6.) Her mom is blind and has DM.
7. she ate an unusually large serving of chicken today.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 11 months ago.
Hi again Shawn,

Thanks for your quick reply. Great to hear her appetite, urination and defecation is all normal. This is a strange behavior she currently has and this could well be a petit mal seizure - which in many ways is similar to a human 'aura' or pre-seizure event. It is strange that the behaviour doesn’t seem to be letting up and you are going to have to continue to keep an eye on Emma now if you can. This could potentially be a behavioural response to pain or irritation on her body somewhere, so if you think this could be the case, then you could try your girl with a little Benadryl. The typical dose is 1mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. There is also the chance that this could be related to a liver issue if this has happened as a result of a large protein meal, however this is much less likely.

Whatever the case - if she seems distressed right now and this behavior doesn't settle, then you are going to have to get her seen by your local ER Vet tonight. If possible - perhaps try to see another ER Vet than the local one if you have had a bad experience previously. Because we don't know the underlying cause of this behavior - definitely don't give any Ativan tonight. It would be important to have a liver issue ruled out first before considering any benzodiazepine type drug.

Hopefully Emma settles in the next 20 - 30 minutes - if not - you are best to get her seen if you can. For now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is seems to be breathing rapidly throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with your girl. Hopefully this is just a once off type issue, but if this resolves and then occurs again, then I would recommend a full work up with your local Vet. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian