Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My 2 year old puggle ate chocolate this morning. It was a bag

My 2 year old puggle ate chocolate this morning. It was a bag of chocolate with about 5 oz of a mixture of chocolate including milk, dark, and semibitter. She pooped all over the house this morning and then I found the empty chocolate bad in the floor this afternoon. She ate the wrapper and everything. She has been real hyper all day, but now tonight she is just uncontrably hyper and barking at me. She is eating and drinking. Should I give her benadryl? Is she going to be ok til i can take her to vet in morning?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a 2003 graduate, and currently a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Addy.

Well, the good news is that with this type of chocolate ingestion, the more severe symptoms of possible seizures probably has past.

However, it was enough chocolate to certainly cause the hyperactivity, as well as, may still predispose to vomiting and bad diarrhea.

You could try giving benadryl, but I cannot be certain it will help to take the edge off.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it).

I can't be certain if she will get worse over the next 12 hours, so an emergency vet visit may truly be necessary. Treatment may also include some fluid therapy to help flush out the body.

Very sorry to hear Addy.

Definitely keep a close eye on her.

Here are some extra links and general information as well:

Chocolate Toxicity

Chocolate toxicity 2

Toxicity Calculator

The last link above is a very nice interactive site to help you understand the toxic effects of different types of chocolate depending on a pet's body weight. A bit dificult to use in this case since it was a mixed type of chocolate she ingested.

I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to add,
I mentioned about seizures. But! I also want you to keep an eye out for any tremors. Anything resembling a tremor would also warrant an emergency trip.

The development of diarrhea may also take about 24 hours. If bad, make sure to get into the vet for just some basic care.

Good Luck!
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience: UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.She finally calmed down and is laying in bed with me after she went to bathroom again, and her stoole looked pretty normal. I am going to keep a close eye on her tonight and take her to vet at 630 am when they open. There is an emergency vet about 45 mins away. Thank you for your help. I dont think i will give her the benedryl because she is sleeping now. She is still wakes up every time I move, but at least she is resting. Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Agreed.
Hold off the benadryl. If resting, no need to add an extra medication into her body.

Good Luck!

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?