Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have bred dogs and shown dogs for 20 years.
60411192

Hi, my dog is on prednisone, every other day, and sulfasalazine,

Hi, my dog is on prednisone, every other day, and sulfasalazine, twice a day, for an inflamed colon . It still seems to hurt when he uses the bathroom and he seems to be in a little pain. Can I give him Tramadol with the other meds he is taking?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.
I'm sorry to hear about this problem with Bolt.
The answer to your question is that, yes, you can give Tramadol with Prednisone and Sulfasalazine.
The dose of this drug in dog is quite wide....1-4 mg/kg 2-4 times a day.

For example if a dog weighs 30 lbs, I would start with 50 mg 1/4 tablet twice a day but know that I could gradually increase to a full 50 mg tablet if necessary.

I hope this helps and that Tramadol helps with his discomfort. Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He has been on his meds since 9/18 - should he still be hurting when he goes to the bathroom? He had eaten a "brittle" bone that he found in our yard and that is the reason for the inflammation. He has been to my vet and they did keep him and run tests on him to check his intestines and bowel and did not find any of the bone left but his colon was inflamed and full of feces. He seems to not want to go to the bathroom. Right now he is panting and can not seem to get comfortable. I have walked him a little to see if he will use the bathroom. Can I give him anything to help him "go"?

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

If he's been on drugs for 10 days, I would expect him to be feeling better if the bone was the cause of the problem in the first place.

Softening the stool may definitely help. Options include:

1. Laxatone or Laxaire (or similar products) which are hairball laxatives for cats. These products will work very well on a smaller dog. They are available at pet or grain stores. You would give 2-3 inches 2-3 times a day.

2. Canned pumpkin (NOT the pie mix); ½ -1 tsp daily in food

3. Over the counter, human Miralax 1/4-1/2th tsp twice daily can work very well.

4. Oral Docusate Sodium (Colace) 25 mg once or twice a day for small dogs.

5. You could give him an enema but this probably wouldn't be such a good choice if his colon is inflammed. But a single pediatric glycerin suppository could be used. (LINK)

Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you - I just took him outside and he is not constipated, he did not yelp or whine when he used the bathroom, but his stool was pretty dark and kind of hard. Could that be from the meds? Also, can I give him a stool softener with the meds he is on?

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.

Even hard stool might be uncomfortable for him if his colon is still inflammed so softening it up a bit may be something to consider if he continues to have problems.

Steroids can cause gastrointestinal bleeding; if the stools are almost black in color, then this could reflect dried blood. Steroids shouldn't affect the consistency of the stool.

I wouldn't expect problems of this sort with Sulfasalazine.

Deb
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Again, thank you - I can just tell that he is either in pain or very uncomfortable by the way he is panting. He just had an ACL repair done back in July and that is what he did after the surgery. He is still eating but just not acting like himself today.

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Glad I can help you today:)

I agree that he may be painful/uncomfortable since panting often is secondary to this problem. Hopefully, the Tramadol will provide some relief for him. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have bred dogs and shown dogs for 20 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the rating and bonus; it's greatly appreciated.
I also wanted to wish you the best with Bolt. I hope he's feeling better soon.

Kindly ignore the request for additional information. Regards, Deb