Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My 13 year old Akita had two pieces of small fried shrimp from

My 13 year old Akita had two pieces of small fried shrimp from the local Chinese restaurant. Within an hour, he has vomited three times (last time was bile- the first time, the shrimp were found). Now he cannot stand for long. He is unstable and drooling excessively. Any suggestions?
We are letting him rest and then want to get him up to drink water and eliminate waste. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
~Brett
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Although as a general rule, cooked shrimp is perfectly fine to give to your dog, there are some dogs who...just like people...can have an allergic reaction to it.

It absolutely sounds like that might be what is going on with your dog...especially since it only started after he got these little pieces of shrimp.

Normally I would suggest that you give Benadryl to help with the reaction, but Bear's symptoms are severe enough to keep him vomiting, then I think this may warrant a trip to the local emergnecy vet for treatment. If you're not sure where the emergency vet is in your area, you can go to: www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code...they'll point you in the right direction.

I know you came out here looking for a way to help Bear feel better, but I really feel like he needs to be seen by a vet tonight..just to be safe.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the help!!

You're very welcome. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a good outcome!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks!!

You're welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bear. How is everything going?

Lisa