Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

If my dog has been on prednisone for one week will it hurt

If my dog has been on prednisone for one week will it hurt to take him off cold turkey?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

It actually can be quite dangerous to take a dog off Prednisone cold turkey. By taking them off rapidly, you can actually cause the dog to experience hyperadrenocorticism. This can be incredibly dangerous and sometimes even fatal, so a gradual tapering is the best way to go.

You can read more about it here:

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Today our Vet took Sinbadd off prednisone and put him on Vicodine and Gabapenton (not sure about spelling). He has been taking two pills a day up to today, and then one pill a day today and was to continue for 5 days and then one every other day. This regiment of Prednisone was prescribed by another Vet. I asked would it be a problem to take him off abruptly and he said no, it is a problem in people, but not in dogs. We followed his advice and our plan is to not give anymore according to his instructions, but, that brought us to this question. He hasn't been on it long, would that be a reason that he was comfortable stopping it all the sudden??

It's absolutely possible that he opted to make that decision because of the short duration of the time he'd been on the Pred.

Normally we would taper the medication down...however, each dog is different and your vet is the best judge of how your dog will react. If he feels it's safe, then I recommend that you follow his instructions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's what we plan to do, we have just wanted to be sure.Today was the first time we saw this Vet. We liked him a lot! However, he is not Sinbadd's normal Vet, we went to him for a second opinion. I might add, he helped us so very much and we so appreciate it!! However, we had advice not to stop the dosage of pred abruptly on Just Answers as we have dealt with this problem for two weeks. I do thank you for your advise.

I know how it is when you really click with a vet...there is NO reason not to stick with him!!