Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

We adopted a 2 year old choc.lab mix a little over a week ago

We adopted a 2 year old choc.lab mix a little over a week ago and he has had diarrhea this is our first dog and where not sure what to do can you help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

Congratulations to the new addition I am sure he will bring you many years of joy and love I am sorry though to hear Max is having some trouble.

Where did you get him?

Is he eating the same food he was eating before you got him or did you change his diet?

Any vomiting or other problems other then the diarrhea ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We adopted him from a kill shelter he was brought to NH from SC and where not sure what his diet was we are feeding him Wellness and he has no other problems. But I think the shelter may have been feeding him something else just not sure. Thank you for any help you can give us with Max.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

The two most common reasons for dogs that come from shelters to develop diarrhea are intestinal parasites and diet change. I am sure they were not feeding wellness at the shelter so this is most likely the cause.
If this is due to diet change this is normally self limiting and will resolve in a few days. Wat you have done so far is great. I would continue to add some boiled white rice in with his food and give him the pumpkin.

If you have Pepto Bismol you can also give that for a day or two until he gets used to the food. This is dosed at 1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight every 8 hours. This can cause constipation so as soon as you see the stool starting to firm up I would discontinue use.

If the diarrhea continues for more then 3-4 days, he starts vomiting or stops eating then I would have him looked over by the vet and the stool checked to be sure he has no parasites.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be more then happy to help.

I am on every day if you ever have any additional questions or you are worried about anything please do not hesitate to ask. I know everything can be a bit scary with your first dog. Just put for Candy in your question line and it will come right to me.

Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hi Debboe,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?

Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Candy,

Thank you for asking Max is still having the same problem I'm hoping it will clear up soon if you can think of anything else we can do please let me know. Debbie

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Poor Max. Have you tried the Pepto? If not I would try that. If this continues I would suggest having a stool sample checked by your vet. Having come from a shelter it is very possible he has intestinal parasites.

Please keep me posted and give him a good belly rub from me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just bought the Pepto and will start it in the AM and I will give my baby boy the belly rub for you and tell him it came from a very caring vet thank you for all your help. I will keep you posted and hope it will be good news your a very good person to care so much about my Max. Debbie

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome and he is a very lucky boy to have someone who loves him as much as you do. I am online everyday if you need me and so you can give me updates on how he is doing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Candy, My husband wanted how many times a day we should feed Max he is eating 3 times a day is that to much or is it ok he has 2 cups of food each time. Also how do I give him the Pepto? Thank you in advance for your help. Debbie

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
2-3 times per day is fine. 6 cups seems like a lot though. What I would do is look at the feeding guide on the food you are feeding and follow what it says for his weight. Average for a lab would be around 4 cups per day or he may become overweight. I would measure the pepto and first see if he will lick some off your finger if so just put the measured amount on a plate most dogs will lick it right up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK thank you I will check on the bag.

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Candy,

We have been trying to get Max to take the Pepto and he isn't doing very well can you think of a way that might work we tried it alone and we tried to mix it with his food he didn't do well eather way his stools are still loose and I'm worried about it. Thank you for any help you can give me with this. Debbie

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Oh he is a stinker. Ok if you can not get him to take it you can try either the Pepto Pills or the immodium pills. The immodium he would get 1 2mg tablet 2-3 time per day.

You can try giving the Pepto in a little boiled hamburger or canned food rather then his regular food . With the pills you can wrap in a piece of bread, try some caned food and make a meatball ( put the pill in the meat ball)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you I will try that and let you know how we make out your the best

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
hope you have a great night. Debbie

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Hi Candy,

Thank you for asking my baby Max is still not well still has loose stoles we took him off the dog food and we have him on 4 cups a day of boiled rice and boiled white chicken breast and for treats cut up chicken breast and he is having 3 Immodiums a day I hope he gets better soon the poor thing. Thank you for your help Debbie

Expert:  Candy replied 12 months ago.
If he still has diarrhea by Monday with the bland diet I would really get a stool sample done. Wit it lasting this long I suspect he may have intestinal parasites. I want to give you some information to review on intestinal parasites. Link
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I will read that link thank you so much is there anythink else you think we could do? Debbie

Expert:  Candy replied 12 months ago.
You are doing the right things. The last thing you can try is deworming. I am more suspicious of protozoa which this will not kill but I would try in case it is just intestinal worms. I would go to the pet store and get either Sentry HC Worm X ( Link) Or SafeGuard 8 in 1 ( Link)
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thank you I will go to the pet store first thing in the morning I will let you know how things are going and you can check on things anytime your the best. Thank You Debbie

Expert:  Candy replied 12 months ago.
You are very welcome. I will check in on you in a few days or you get back to me so I know how things are going. Give him a good belly rub from me and tell him we will get this figured out for him
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Will do he loves those belly rubs

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here