Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My dog, an 11-month lab/collie has been at the vet for

My dog, an 11-month lab/collie bitch has been at the vet for sneezing over the last few days, she had a temp and swollen glands but apart froom the sneezing was otherwise well. This evening I noticed she has several black spots on her belly, I was wondering what they were and if they could be part of why she is unwell? She is up to date on her flea and tick treatment (advantix) and combing her shows no sign of flea dirt.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in-person consult, I have a few questions....

Are those black spots seeming to feel crusty?

What state do you live in?

Have you ever noticed any ticks on her?

What is her temp?

How many days has she been on the antibiotics?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They do look a bit crusty, she's never had any ticks.

I'm in the UK. I don't have a thermometer but her temp was a little high this afternoon. She's only just started the anti-biotics today, I just don't know if the two things are related or not. I think I'm probably better speaking to my own vet at review appontment

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for the addtional information Sarah...I really appreciate it.

The fact that she has swollen lymph nodes, a slightly elevated fever and crusty scabs makes me think she's got some kind of infection going on. The lymph nodes are the most reactive in the body and can become swollen pretty severely with something even as minor as a cold, so if she's got a little skin infection brewing, it would explain all the symptoms.

The good news is that since she's so young, there is relatively little chance that we're dealing with anything too serious. Problems like neoplasias tend to be characteristic of older dogs, so I really feel like this is a minor infection.

The antibiotics generally take about 72 hours or so to build up to a therapeutic level...meaning the level of the medication that needs to be in the body to start working...and since she's only been on them for a very short time, I think we should give it a little more time to really kick in.

I'd expect to see at lest a minor improvement by tomorrow evening, with her well on her way to recovery by the time the weekend is over.

I know it's hard to be patient when your companion isn't feeling well, but I'm confident that she'll be feeling much better in just a few days.
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification