Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My Rottweiler dog has had an open inch long wound on wrist

My Rottweiler dog has had an open inch long wound on wrist joint of front paw for months. I put hydrogen peroxide on it and neosporin then wrap it but it will not heal.

What is causing it to remain open?
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Aries is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How did this wound happen?

How old is Aries?

Have you had this looked at by your vet?

Are you cleaning this with peroxide daily?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Aries is 8 yo. I donot know how the wound happened.

No, a vet has not seen it.

No, I am not cleaning the wound daily.

It is not infected, just will not close up. He licks it.

Thank you for the additional information.

I am sure this is not what you want to hear but this really needs to be looked at by a vet to be sure there is not 1. deep tissue infection. 2, medical reasons such as diabetes causing this not to heal.3. Cancer. Unfortunately this breed is very prone to cancer and this can cause open non healing lesions especially in the area of the joint.

It is also possible that this is not healing due to the fact that he is licking. A wound that is continuously disturbed can not heal. Licking causes the tissue to open back up as soon as it tries to close.

Again I think it would be best to have this seen by a vet but until you can do that what I would try is the following.
* Get an e collar - This really is a must so he can not lick it.
* Clean the wound twice daily with Betadine diluted with water to the color of tea rinse well.
* Try using Manuka honey on the wound. This is not the honey you buy at the grocery store it is a medicinal honey that can be purchased at your local health food store. Once applied cover with gauze. I would apply this twice per day after cleaning.

I would not use any additional peroxide as this can be very damaging to the skin and actually imped healing.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to help.
Hi John,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Aries. How is everything going?