Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Hi I bred my dog on her 10th day of her heat. She only tied

Hi I bred my dog on her 10th day of her heat. She only tied once. Than I took her to my vet on her 25th day to check if she is pregnant. He palpated her abdomen and said he didn't feel a pregnancy. Could she still be pregnant?
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
If the only check your vet did is a palpatate your girl when you took her in, then it is possible that she is still pregnant. While an experienced vet and even breeder can sometimes determine pregnancy by palpatation around day 26-35 days, it can be very difficult to determine and easily missed. I find it easier to feel them around 26-30 days but since sperm can live for up to 5 days inside the female, determining when she became pregnant can be difficult.
An ultrasound is a better choice for early detection of pregnancy since in some cases it can be detected as early as 24 days after the tie occurs. An x-ray after about 45 days is another method to determine that a dog pregnant. Most of the time, I just feed my females a good high quality dog food it I have bred my dog. I then wait until the last week of pregnancy and see if I can feel the pups kicking. You can feel them when a dog is laying on their side if you have you hand between the ribs and the hind leg pretty high up on the abdomen.
If you are a first time breeder, you might want to go ahead and have an x-ray done late in the pregnancy so you have a count of how many pups there are. That can help you know when she is done delivering so you do not worry about if she is done delivering or not.
So your girl could very well be pregnant since she did have a tie. In most cases when a tie occurs a dog does become pregnant. I'd feed her a good puppy food until you determine she did not conceive.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Hi Debbie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?