Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

I just noticed that the inside of my dogs ears..all except

I just noticed that the inside of my dogs ears..all except the middle are blacker than I remember from when I last treated her ears. The black appears to be more fur growing. She is taking atopica for allergies.Also noticed that her gums have black/brown spots.She seems healthy..just changed her food this week to blue buffalo..could the new food be causing this?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

How long has Maggie been ont he Atopica?

Had she suffered hair loss in those areas prior to the Atopica?

When was the last time she had blood work done?

Has she had her thyroid tested at all?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She has been on atopica for a couple of months and it has been a miracle itching or hair loss..blood work done yearly..don't know about thyroid...she is a brindle so she has some black spots..her paws look pink and healthy.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No hair loss prior atopic a..just itching
Thanks for the additional information Alex. I really appreciate it.

If she's acting completely normal, doesn't seem uncomfortable or distressed about her ears now, then odds are that it's just a change in pigment and nothing to worry about.

Dogs can have pigment changes their whole lives, and although it is most noticable in the color of the nose from black to pink or vice versa, but it's not unusual to see changes elsewhere on the skin such as the skin on the abdomen or the pads of the feet.

ISince things like thyroid problems can cause the pigment to change, it would be a good idea to call them in the morning and see if they had ever tested her thyroid, and if not, if they think it's something worth investigating, but really don't think it's anything that you need to be concerned about, or need to rush her to the vet for.

I hope this helps.

Hi Alex,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie. How is everything going?