Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

We have a female Golden Retriever (Mandy) that we bred 64 days

We have a female Golden Retriever (Mandy) that we bred 64 days ago today. The stud and her were stuck one time that we know of. She has not shown many signs of pregnancy and my wife and I were in question if the mating took. My wife checked Mandy's nipples and noticed that she had milk coming in. Is that a sure sign that she is pregnant? My wife has bred small dogs in the past, and I have only had male Goldens in the past. What should we be looking for to see if she is going to deliver? Since she has not shown much, should we expect a small liter?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Did they only tie the once?

Has she had any changes in behavior?

Does she seem to be eating/drinking/urinating/defecating normally?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

We only know of one time that the two dogs were stuck. The stud only had Mandy overnight, and he saw them stuck once. As far as changes in behavior we have not noticed any major changes, but my wife felt like that Mandy wanted to be right on top of her starting yesterday. and she is eating, drinking, urinating, and defecating as she normally did. If anything she might be eating a little bit more.

Expert:  Lisa replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it Charlie.

Unfortunately, in the absence of any other symptoms, I can't help but wonder if she's having a false pregnancy.

Pseudocyesis (false pregnancy) often occurs when a dog has been bred but doesn't get pregnant. You can find more information about this here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_false_pregnancy.html

Unfortunately, there isn't anything you can do to get a dog to stop lactating after a false pregnancy. They have this lactation issue strictly due to hormonal imbalance and the body thinking that there are puppies to nurse. This issue will usually clear up on it's own after a few weeks.

If it doesn't, or if you notice any swelling to the mammary chains, lethargy, anorexia, vomiting or diarrhea or heat to the touch on the mammary chains, these are all signs of an infection that needs to be looked at by a vet as soon as possible.

If you want to avoid these issues in the future (some studies indicate that once a dog has a false pregnancy, they are more likely to have them again), it's best to have her spayed as soon as possible. That will also eliminate the possibility of unwanted puppies, mammary cancers and a uterine infection known as pyometra.

Of course, we're not exactly sure if this is what is going on with her...so since she's not acting like she's in distress or having any signs of impending labor, then I would suggest you call your vet in the morning and have them take an x-ray. They'll be able to count the spines if there are any babies, which will help them know if she's pregnant.

I hope this helps.

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification