Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My 4 year old Golden/Collie mix has always been picky about

My 4 year old Golden/Collie mix has always been picky about her food, usually waiting for her three smaller sized male dogs to eat first. (She is a rescue dumped in a park three years ago, well cared for). She stopped eating much about a week ago, and pretty much not at all the past few days. She was in heat almost two months ago and I thought she might be pregnant, my husband takes her to a friends so she can run their acres with their boxer, he is working on trucks and doesn't watch real closely. Anyway, I followed her out in the yard as she seemed to be constipated, I found a glob of mucus with blood in it! I scooped it up on the leaf and packaged it up in the fridge. She is acting otherwise normal. Should I call the ER Animal Hosp. or can I wait till tomorrow? I want to do the right thing for her?
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear Maggie is not feeling well. At the very least it sounds like she has some colitis which is inflammation of her colon. This can be caused by a virus or a bacteria or if she ate something that upset her tummy. It can make her feel pretty bad and make her not want to eat. You may want to give her some pepto tonight at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 15 lbs of body weight. Or pepcid AC, 1 tablet by mouth twice daily. These can be given together if you have both. This will help settle her tummy down. You can offer her some boiled chicken and rice also and see if she wants to eat some of that if not thats ok. I do not think she has to be rushed in tonight as long as she isn't vomiting uncontrollably and doesn't seem to lethargic or out of it. If she just feels icky, doesn't want to eat and having diarrhea then have her seen first thing tomorrow at your regular vet so they can start helping her feel better. I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX Cool I will sleep better tonight! I get a bit concerned when it's my babies! They are all rescues, and I don't know their early health! My other three are all about same age (9-11) and it's been a weird couple of weeks - just found out my Schnoodle M with fatty tumors, now on thyroid, possible hernia. Coton M started having mild seizures, leg up in the air and glassy eyes for a half minute.Frown Jack/Chi mix M warts, skin infections, had blood work, possible cancer. All this in a week! (No such thing as a free dog Smile, I tell my friends) I have a Specialist Vet appt next Tuesday for the three, will see my regular Vet tomorrow with Maggie Thank You so much!!! Shall I save the sample in the fridge/and or try for a new one tomorrow? Linda

You are welcome. I totally understand! Ohhhh man what a tough week! I am sorry. Its never fun with these little ones who we love so much when stuff like that is discovered. They are lucky they have such a wonderful loving caring family! yes keep the sample so they can see it and check it for any parasites just in case. Good luck! Let me know if you have any other concerns or questions. I hope everyone starts feeling well soon! Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All adorable dogs, I gladly see that they get good medical care - at least I don't have to send them to college!Innocent One more quick question. I just bought a bag of Canidae All stages dry dog food, then read that some owners said it gave their dogs seizures, very sick GI problems, so I did not open it, It was rated 4 and a half stars out of 5, and was Recommended! I think I will return it. Is there a food you like? Is a raw diet good? Again, Thank You! Have a Great Weekend! I am rating you Smile Excellent!

Canidae is a very good food. . . you are going to read peoples opinions about any food that is out there. Most people only post their opinions when they are angry about something so remember that. Raw diet is good just not for every body because it can be a mess and gross people out. But its very healthy. I honestly like Canidae but also Taste of the wild and Framm are all very good. I appreciate the kind words and rating me excellent. Just don't forget to officially rate me by clicking your link below my replies. Thank you again! have a great weekend also
Hi Linda Kinsey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie. How is everything going?

Dr. Whitehead