Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

My dog is 14 yrs old, been healthy all her life, her front

My dog is 14 yrs old, been healthy all her life, her front legs r sliding open on tile floor. Mine will, too, when I get that old. I'm sure I'll need a walker to hold me up. My friend said my dog has a pinched nerve & she's suffering. I'm sure she is in pain when walking around but I don't see her in that kind of pain where it's unbearable.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about your girl. Just because her legs are sliding apart on a slick surface does not mean she necessarily is suffering. She may be in some discomfort if she is limping around on not slick surfaces also which may indicate a pinched nerve but also could be related to arthritis because of her age. If she is still getting around, eating and drinking ok, not crying out in pain, and otherwise seems to feel good then I would deifnitely say that she is not currently suffering. We all will have pain when we are that age so we have to think of it that way. You may want to try some tylenol at a dose of 5 mg per pound every 8 to 12 hours by mouth to see if you see any changes. It definitely wouldn't hurt to try it. I would look for her to stop eating and drinking, stop moving around, cry in pain, or really have a hard time before I would say she is in a lot of pain and suffering. Otherwise from your description she is hanging in there and just keep a close eye on her. I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!