Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My 5yr old male Labrador got out while we were away and we

My 5yr old male Labrador got out while we were away and we had to go and pick him up from Young Animal Protection Society (disgusting, dirty, smelly etc) on our way out he was bitten by another dog. When we got him home (via the dog wash) he had a mild case of kennel cough (his vacs have expired) which we treated with 2 doses of cough suppressant. The following day however he became quite lethargic, his feet were swollen and he would not stop licking them. We have checked him out and he is quite pink/red & moist between his pads, also where he was grabbed by the other dog now has a small bald spot and is pink/black (from the dirt). I have some prednisone for my son asthma and was wondering if that would help or if I should get some Canesten cream (female thrush treatment for humans) from the chemist? Could you please advise.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX my email [email protected]

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear poor Max has been though so much.

The wound from the dog bite should be cleaned twice daily with an antibacterial wash such as Betadine diluted with water to the color of tea and then apply an antibiotic ointment. You will want to watch this closely as dog bites are full of bacteria and often result in infection. If after at home care for a few days it look no better or becomes red, inflamed,smelly or oozing then you will want to have it looked at by your vet.

Unfortunately it is against the law for me to recommend the use of the Pred since it is a prescription medication without having a hands on exam.

It is possible that there is an infection in the feet now whether it is bacteria or fungal in nature there is no way to know for sure. You can try washing them daily with the Betadine as well or just soaking the paws in Betadine water mix rinse well and apply a small amount of the Canesten. This may require oral medication to clear as there is no way to know for sure what this is. I would use an E collar for a few days or if he will allow put socks on his feet to keep him from licking.

I believe you have Zyrtec available in your area and if so he can have 1 10mg tablet once daily to help with the itchy feet.

If he continues to be lethargic, coughing or if the feet and or bite wound do not heal I would suggest getting him in to see your vet as soon as possible.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy

Hi Alison,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?

Candy