Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hello, My dog all of a sudden started stumbling and getting

My dog all of a sudden started stumbling and getting scared and pooped twice and then threw up. After all of that he was salivating and trembling like he was scared. I don't know why, but I fed him immediately which he tried his hardest to eat and managed to scarf it down. Pretty soon after he stopped shaking and recovered his balance and ran over to his bed and layed down. His gums, tongue, and lower eye lids are all light pink. He is a daschund.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for requesting me to assist you today.

Can you tell me how old he is?

How is he now?

Any previous medical conditions?

Any chance he got in to anything?

After your reply please allow me a few minutes to type up your answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

he is 4yrs. I had recently gotten back from a walk with him and my other dog. I didn't see him get into anything. Right before he was sick he had disappeared for awhile, but I checked the house and nothing inside was broken into, I also have an 11month old baby and she has free reign so I check frequently. He seems to be doing fine, curled up on his bed, and walks fine. No previous medical condition, although he does have a rash on the right side of his chest about 2inches wide and 3inches long - it looks like wrinkly elbow skin and he won't stop licking it.

Thank you .

From your description it sounds like he had a seizure. There are several things that can cause a seizure in dogs the most common being.
* Primary idiopathic epilepsy- This usually shows up between the ages of 2&5.
* Low glucose levels
* Problems with the liver such as a liver shunt
* Hypothyroidism
* Eating something toxic
* Brain tumor ( more common in older dogs)
Here is additional information on causes of and treatment for seizures in dogs LINK

I would suggest having your vet take a look at him and possibly having some blood work done.In most cases no medication is given to control seizures unless they begin to happen frequently, last longer or there is more then one in a 24 hour period.
As long as he continues to do well today there is no reason to rush to the vet right away but I would call and let them know what happened and schedule and appointment. If he as another seizure in the next 24 hours then I would get him in right away.

In the future you do not want to offer food until he is back to normal as there is a risk of choking during a seizure.

As for the skin problem it sounds like there may be a secondary bacterial infection going on and this may require antibiotics to fully clear. This breed is prone to a condition called Primary acanthosis nigricans which can cause hair loss, infection and leathery skin often on the chest or groin area.I would try to prevent licking as much as possible as this will only make the problem worse.

I hope this helps and he continues to do ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?