Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice

my dog removed 8 stones 5 months ago and now there is 3 more

my dog removed 8 stones 5 months ago and now there is 3 more stones again and a vet want to remove them surgically again..... I do not feel comfortable that my dog has to go thru again in 5 month.... is it safe to do it again in 5 months??!!
Hello, and thanks for writing in.

What type of stones were removed previously?

What food is he eating?

Has he been on antibiotics?

Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No antibiotics and he has been eating URINARY SO by Royal Canin plus some home made food.

Thanks for the information.

Were the stones sent off for analysis to find out what they were made of?

Were X-rays taken right after the surgery to make sure all of them were removed during the initial surgery (this is very important)?

Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They did check the stone and were no bacteria. they said they removed all the stones, but not sure if they took another x-ray.
both legs surgery last Nov. but there is another problem on his left leg, they want to do surgery same time one leg and remove bladder stone.

That is why I'm really worry that if it's okay to do that.

Doing another surgery to get more stones out is fine, but it's just a bit concerning that they formed so quickly after the first surgery (unless stones were left behind after the first surgery, which can happen - that is why it's important for the post-operative x-rays). Depending on the type of leg surgery, it may be ok to do at the same time, but if they are working on a joint or bone, it would be best to do the surgeries separately, to try and prevent infection, and for the best chance at proper healing.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! knee cap surgery has been done for both leg, but this time some tissue connect to both knee bone is broken(?) And he is sleeping all the time. may be because of the bladder pain. Thank you surgery is scheduled on Oct 16th. what do I have to ask them about surgery?

I personally would do the bladder surgery and knee surgery separately, but the only benefit to doing them at the same time, is just one anesthetic procedure. It sounds like the cranial cruciate ligament is torn inside the knee, and since it's a joint surgery, I would recommend doing just one surgery at a time, in order to reduce the chance of post-operative infection/complications. Otherwise, I'm not sure of any specific questions to ask, other than making sure they send the bladder stones off for analysis to find out exactly what the stones are made of (which can help with long-term treatment/prevention), and to make sure X-rays of the bladder are taken after surgery to ensure that all of the stones are removed. Let me know if I can help further. Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much! It was big help.

You're very welcome - it's my pleasure to be here to help out!
I hope everything goes great for Gem!

Take care,
Dr. Dave