Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Dog started swallowing hard and is licking the carpeting.

Dog started swallowing hard and is licking the carpeting. She is drinking and eating fine...
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Bindi is having some trouble. This behavior if more often then not associated with nausea. I would not give any additional milk as this can make the problem worse. Most dogs are lactose intolerant so this can lead to stomach upset and or diarrhea.

If you have Pepcid AC in the house this may help. This is dosed at 0.25mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours. If you do not have Pepcid then Pepto Bismol may help. This is dosed at 1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight every 8 hours if needed.

I hope this helps and she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

gave her icecream thinking her throat was soar because she gags once in a great while. doesn't seem like a choking gag and then she gets hickups. Thought ice cream would make her feel better, we just washed our deck with bleach and water and thought maybe she licked it or something. it was already rinsed this afternoon. she is sneezing too now. never had a dog do this before, strange...just looking at any possibilites. Rest of dogs are fine.

Ok a small amount of ice cream is fine. If she is sneezing as well then there could be something going on such as sinus irritation and just like with humans the sinuses can drain down the back of the throat. I would check her mouth good make sure there are no white marks which would indicate chemical burns if she happened to lick the bleach and make sure there is nothing stuck in the mouth. If the mouth looks ok, then you can try a few things. One of the products I mentioned in case there is stomach upset and if you have any sterile saline in the house like what you use to clean contacts you can put 2-3 drops in each side of her nose to clear the nasal passages
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we don't have pepcid or pepto, what about tums? she is also rubbing her face on the couch. she seems fine as far as attitude, barks at the door, but she is definately uncomfortable. just weird that it was sudden. we did give her benadryl a little while ago, thinking it was maybe an allergy. Our vet had us do that with one of the other dogs years ago.

The Benadryl is fine as well and if she is rubbing her face it is possible this is all related. Allergic reactions can cause nausea as well Any way she got stung by a bee or other insect? It is also possible that she came in contact with the bleach water. Try wiping the face with a cool wet cloth. Did the licking and swallowing start after the Benadryl? Has she has any new foods tonight other then the ice cream? Did you find anything abnormal in the mouth?
Tums is not the best for upset stomach but you can try giving one and see if that helps it will not hurt
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

nope she was licking and swallowing hard first. then she went and drank a whole bunch of water. i mean alot of water, that is why i thought of milk... gave her ice cream with the benedryl later. She started about eleven and it is 12 thirty. not sure on bees, not ususally out at this late...she won't take the tums...will keep trying.

Thank you. Drinking a lot of water is also common with nausea. Other then the tums do you have any other antacids in the house that are in pill form? If no try coating the tums with a little peanut butter or wrap it in a small piece of bread and see if that gets her to eat it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she did take the tums, but we found pepcid, 20 mg pills maximum strength

You can give the Pepcid even though she took the tums, How much does she weigh
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

25 to 30 lbs

She can have 1/2 of the 20mg tablet every 12 hours
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok will give her that and gonna head to bed...thanks for all your help. she still gags once in a while, but will to eat most of what we offer. still swallowing hard but not as often. licking lips yet...

Hopefully the Pepcid will help in about 20-30 minutes. You have a good evening and give her a pet from me. I will be back on early in the morning do not hesitate to come back to this thread if she is still having trouble and I will help in any way that I can
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks...

No problem I am glad I was here to help